Stripey knits for boys :: Knitting ::

Friday 20 November 2015


Today my baby is one, and instead of having a family celebration, Mr MiH and I have to leave Baby MiH with his grandparents for the weekend, because today we cannot pretend that everything is normal. I knitted a jumper for Little Baby MiH - and yes it is too small for him (I checked against his other jumpers, definitely too small). But I had to finish this jumper. I started it when we left for the hospital, not because I wanted to keep him with me, but just because I never thought he would leave us. And of course he has not left us as I explained to Baby MiH, he would always be there, but not with us. So we say goodnight to him every night. 

I am not going to talk too much about the jumper. It was inspired by this jumper construction. I wanted stripes (and finish some ethical yarn I had) and some texture. This jumper has both. I love the results, I hate the way I knitted it. Thankfully it is not an adult size jumper, otherwise I would not have finished it.   



I do hope one day this will turn into a pattern, it would be nice to think that something concrete was inspired by Little Baby MiH. For the time being, I am going to leave this jumper for a bit, and come back to it once I learn a bit more about raglan shaping and probably also about writing proper patterns.. 


I am not sure how much to share about our story, but through knitting and sewing stories I am able to share a bit and celebrate that he was with us and inspired me. 

17 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful jumper Nat. My thoughts are with you today. I've sent a happy birthday wish up to him this morning x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the perfect tribute to a beautiful boy.
    Your way of sharing is always full of grace, don't go changing xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nat, you speak with such honesty and strength... Clare says it perfectly- such grace....Blessings to you all x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your beautiful boy, and all my love to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, my heart is with you today. That is a beautiful sweater, it would indeed be a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Nat. Because of my 'internet-break' the last few weeks, I haven't been able to offer my sympathy. My heart and thoughts go out to you and your family in these unimaginably hard times. The sweater that you knitted for him is gorgeous, it's good that you finished it. You seem to have a lot of strength, caring for your family and still blogging like you do, also, take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to Leo Nat. Thinking of you today xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to Leo Nat. Thinking of you today xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holding your family in my heart today. Happy Birthday to Little Baby MiH.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful make! Happy Birthday handsome angel! Your all in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to your little baby. The jumper is so gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to your gorgeous boy and lots of prayers for you and the rest of your family today xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday Leo. Thinking of you this weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Nat. I'm sure that little baby MIH's birthday was an incredibly emotional day for your family. I'm sending constant love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just sending you my love and happy thoughts at this unbearably sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ever since I have known about Little Baby MiH - I keep thinking about you and how amazingly you have been coping and keeping a brave attitude. It is so humbling to witness all of this and I am speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Nat...hugs to you. Hau'oli la hanau, little angel BAby MiH.

    ReplyDelete